NEW WAVES | TRUONG MINH QUY: INTO THE FOREST
TRUONG MINH QUY: INTO THE FOREST
(In dialogue with Jennifer Teo)
31 AUG 2016, WED / 8:00PM / 120 MIN
New Waves: Emerging Voices of Southeast Asian Cinema
New Waves shines a spotlight on young filmmakers who are making waves through the archipelago, forming an emerging community within Southeast Asia. Join them in a series of dialogues with Singaporean artists, writers and curators from different disciplines, as they recollect their entrance into cinema, their unique and personal approaches to utilising film as a mode of expression, and its convergence with other art forms and everyday life. Come participate in these open dialogue sessions to find out more about this emerging community of filmmakers in anticipation of the upcoming 27th edition of the Singapore International Film Festival.
Truong Minh Quy: Into the Forest
(In dialogue with Jennifer Teo)
A prominent voice from South Vietnam, Truong Minh Quy has made a series of short films and is now completing his first feature film, The City of Mirrors. Constantly dealing with his country’s and his own personal histories, and the disjuncture between urban and rural space, Truong’s films display an intimate relationship with landscapes outside the city, from mountains to dense forests, the space where he invests his desire and rumination of things past and future. Joined by Jennifer Teo from Post-Museum who has mounted a series of community and art projects in Bukit Brown, both guests will discuss what it means and what we could find when we enter a forest.
Short Film Screening:
Someone is Going to Forest (Dir: Truong Minh-Quy / Vietnam / 2013 / 29min / Vietnamese / R21 (Sexual Scene) Note: Patrons under age 21 who wish to join the dialogue will be admitted into the venue only after this screening.
Mars in the Well (Dir: Truong Minh-Quy / Vietnam / 2014 / 19min / Vietnamese / Rating PG)
Truong Minh Quy was born in 1990 in Buon Ma Thuot, a small city in the central highlands of Vietnam. In 2008 he entered film directing class at the Cinema and Theatre University in Ho Chi Minh City. After one year, he decided to quit the school to pursuit his independent filmmaking path. In 2012, he was a fellow of AFA (Asian Film Academy, Busan International Film Festival). In 2016, he attended Berlinale Talents Campus (Berlin International Film Festival). Recently, he is working at Ga0|Zerostation, an alternative art space in Ho Chi Minh city.
Jennifer Teo is a Singapore-based cultural worker. She works mainly in the visual arts scene, and is broadly interested in issues of collectivism, governance, heritage, nature, and social justice. In 2007, she founded Post-Museum, an independent cultural and social space which aims to encourage and support a thinking and pro-active community. In its current phase, Post-Museum focuses on collaborating with various partners to develop community and art projects in various locations including Bukit Brown.
• A fully refundable fee of $5 will be charged for each ticket booking. Register and turn up for the event. If you turn up, the booking fee will be refunded by Peatix electronically, otherwise, it will be forfeited.
• Seats are issued on a first-come-first-served basis (free seating arrangement).
• Registration will close on 31 August 2016, 6pm. Any cancellations must be made before the ticket cut-off date and time, otherwise your registration will be locked-in.
• The refund will be handled by the credit card company of the credit card used to purchase the tickets. The refund process will vary depending on the cut-off date of the credit card.
• Should the refund be done before the credit card cut-off date: The refund process will be handled in the current month so no money will be deducted for ticket payment. In most cases, both the ticket payment and the refund will appear separately on the credit card statement.
• Should the refund process be done after the credit card cut-off date: The payment of the ticket order will be processed. Peatix will refund the amount in the next month through a negative invoice.
Note: Peatix are unable to look up cut-off dates of credit cards. Peatix accepts VISA, MasterCard and AMEX.
LINKS TO OTHER NEW WAVES SESSIONS:
- NEW WAVES | GLADYS NG: CAPTURING THE EPHEMERAL
- NEW WAVES | HE SHUMING: FEMININE/MASCULINE
- NEW WAVES | TAN JINGLIANG: A PLACE IN DISPLACEMENT
- NEW WAVES | CHULAYARNNON SIRIPHOL: VANISHING MEMORIES - BETWEEN VIDEO ART AND CINEMA
8:00 PM - 10:00 PM SGT
Free Seating (Refundable) $5.00
On sale until Aug 31, 2016, 6:00:00 PM
- Venue Address
- *SCAPE Gallery (Level 5), 2 Orchard Link, Singapore 237978 Singapore